What it must be like to be Abby
My children thoroughly intrigue me. I wonder several times a day what must really be going on in their minds as they try and figure out life. It is usually funny to see how they go about this process. Yesturday, however, I felt so bad for Abby. It was around 8:00 pm and time for bed. Since it was the fourth of July, however, I was thinking about when we would do sparklers and not even thinking about the time. Abby all of the sudden started crying. Matt picked her up and she said "walk, walk, walk." So he said, "Do you want to walk?" She nodded yes so he put her down. This only illicited more crying. I took a turn cuddling with her on the couch and she even more desperately yelled, "walk, walk, walk" over and over again. I told her, thinking I had figured out that she wanted me to hold her and walk (brilliant mommy that I am), that I couldn't walk around with her and if she wanted to walk she was going to have to walk herself. If you know Abby you know how that went over. Anyway, I was able to distract her for a while with the sparklers and a little play time outside. By the time we were done I picked her up to say goodnight and to hand her to Matt and she clung to me for dear life yelling "walk, walk, walk". This time it clicked. My poor exausted baby had been asking me to rock, rock, rock her. She had spent 30 minutes, or so, miserably sleepy and I hadn't understood what she needed. I know she isn't scarred for life, but as a mom every moment they need you to understand them and you can't penetrates the heart.
This leads nicely to this weeks core competency...
Personal God
I believe God is involved in a cares about my daily life.
I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2
What a comfort to know that God always knows what we need, even when we haven't got a clue ourselves.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home